The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for October is apples. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month and National Farm to School Month with local apples.
School Nutrition Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning students, October is National Apple Month and the school cafeteria is featuring locally grown apples as our Harvest of the Month fruit. Try a crisp, delicious local apple in your school lunch today (or on _____ date).”
- Serve a fresh apple on your lunch menu.
- Add diced or sliced apples to oatmeal at breakfast, or add to salads or slaw at lunch.
- Georgia Grown Pink Applesauce – a Georgia Grown Test Kitchen recipe, from the Georgia Department of Agriculture.
- Check out the What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl for standardized recipes for school food service using apples.
Taste test idea – Apples come in many varieties. Hold a taste test with several locally grown varieties so students can experience the different colors, textures and tastes.
- Find information about apple varieties from the US Apple Association and share with students during the taste test.
- Have students vote on their favorite variety. Check out the taste testing resources on our Harvest of the Month page.
- US Apple Association – A nonprofit association representing the apple industry. Find information on apples, health and nutrition facts, resources for teachers and more.
- October is National Apple Month – Find additional resources on apples, from USDA’s Healthy Meals Resource System.
- Q. What kind of apple has a short temper? A. A crab apple.
- Q. Why did the apple stop running? A. He ran out of juice!
- Apple Education Activity Ideas – “Apples” Getting to the Core
- Apple Tree Math Activity
- Apple Coloring Page 1 and Page 2
Students and Families
- HOTM Apples Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using apples in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – English – A one page tip sheet on choosing more fruit, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Enfóquese en las frutas