In October, butternut squash is being featured for the Harvest of the Month (HOTM) program. Butternut squash is a winter squash with a delicious orange flesh. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with butternut squash!
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In October we are celebrating locally grown butternut squash for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for butternut squash in your school lunch today (or on ______ day/date) and eat local! Harvest of the Month is our program that celebrates local and seasonal produce each month.”
- “Good morning! Butternut squash is a featured vegetable for October’s Harvest of the Month. Look for butternut squash from these local farms (name the farm(s), if you can) in your school lunch today (or on ______ day/date) and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month with local butternut squash!”
- Serve butternut squash, roasted or baked as a vegetable side dish.
- Butternut Squash Casserole – from Carrollton City Schools, School Nutrition Program
- Butternut Squash Recipes – from Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
- Caramelized Butternut Squash – from Elbert County Schools, School Nutrition Program
- Roasted Butternut Squash – from Barrow County School System, School Nutrition
- Roasted Butternut Squash – from Hall County School Nutrition Program
- Spiced Butternut Squash – from USDA, What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl
Taste test ideas:
- Try one of the above roasted butternut squash recipes and offer small bites as a taste test.
- Roast and mash butternut squash (try Spiced Butternut Squash recipe above) and offer small tasting cups to students.
- During the taste test, provide fun facts on butternut squash and/or include education about the nutrients found in butternut squash. Have students evaluate the taste test sample by filling out a survey to indicate if they tried it, liked it, and would be willing to try it again.
- Coming soon.
Students and Families
- HOTM Butternut Squash Fact Sheet
- Butternut Squash with Black Beans – from What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad – from HealthMPowers and Georgia Shape
- Holiday Roasted Butternut Squash – from Cooking Matters
- Butternut Squash and Sage Soup – from the Dairy Alliance
- Creamy Slow Cooker Butternut Oatmeal – from the Dairy Alliance
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using butternut squash in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one-page tip sheet on eating more vegetables, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día