In October, cabbage is being featured for the Harvest of the Month (HOTM) program. Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that is a good source of many nutrients. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with Vidalia onions!
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In October we are celebrating locally grown cabbage for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for cabbage in your school lunch today (or on ______ day/date) and eat local! Harvest of the Month is our program that celebrates local and seasonal produce each month.”
- “Good morning! Cabbage is a featured vegetable for October’s Harvest of the Month. Look for cabbage from these local farms (name the farm(s), if you can) in your school lunch today (or on ______ day/date) and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month with local cabbage!”
- Serve coleslaw made with fresh, local cabbage as a vegetable side dish.
- Add fresh, chopped or shredded cabbage to tossed salads or serve on a salad bar.
- Serve cooked cabbage as a vegetable side. Try adding cabbage to soups or stir fry dishes.
- Steamed Cabbage – from Barrow County School System, School Nutrition
- Braised Cabbage – from Cherokee County School District, School Nutrition
- Coleslaw – from Cherokee County School District, School Nutrition
- Spicy Cabbage – from Houston County School Nutrition Program
- Creamy Cole Slaw– USDA Recipe E-60 for Schools
- Georgia Grown Test Kitchen Recipes – from the Georgia Department of Agriculture
Taste test idea:
- Offer raw cabbage leaves, torn in pieces, with or without a low-fat dressing for dipping. Include education about the nutrients found in cabbage. Have students evaluate the taste test sample by filling out a survey to indicate if they tried it, liked it, and would be willing to try it again.
- Why do cabbages win at races? A. Because they know how to get a-head!
- How did the farmer fix his jeans? A. With a cabbage patch!
- Coming soon.
Students and Families
- HOTM Cabbage Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using cabbage in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one-page tip sheet on eating more vegetables, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día