The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for February is cauliflower. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local cauliflower!
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In February we are celebrating locally grown cauliflower for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for cauliflower in your school lunch today (or on ________ day/date) and eat local! Harvest of the Month is our program that features a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- “Cauliflower is the featured vegetable for February’s Harvest of the Month. Look for cauliflower from these local farms (name the farm(s), if you can) in your school lunch today (or on _________ day/date). Try local cauliflower and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month!”
- Add fresh, chopped cauliflower florets to prepared salads or serve on a salad bar.
- Serve veggie dippers with fresh, local cauliflower florets with low-fat ranch dip or hummus.
- Serve roasted, steamed, or sautéed cauliflower. Herbs and flavors that compliment cauliflower include basil, cumin, curry, dill, garlic, parsley, rosemary, or tarragon.
- Try seasoning cooked cauliflower with the American, Asian, Italian, or Ranch Shake it Up Seasoning Blends.
- Shake it Up recipes:
- Roasted Cauliflower – from Carrollton City Schools
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower – Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
- New School Cuisine: Nutritious and Seasonal Recipes for School Cooks by School Cooks, from Vermont FEED.
- Corn, Potato and Cauliflower Soup, pg. 34-35
- Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric, pg. 80-81
Taste test ideas:
- Hold a taste test with raw cauliflower florets, with or without a low-fat dip or hummus. Include education about the nutrients found in cauliflower. Have students vote on whether they like it.
- Hold a taste test with roasted cauliflower. Try this recipe for Roasted Cauliflower, from Carrollton City Schools.
- What kind of flower should never be put in a vase? A: Cauliflower.
- Broccoli Cauliflower Education Activity Ideas – Cauliflower Focused
- Activity Sheets:
Students and Families
- HOTM Fact Sheet – Cauliflower
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using cauliflower in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one-page tip sheet on adding more vegetables to your meals and snacks, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día