In May, cucumbers are being featured for the Harvest of the Month (HOTM) program. Cucumbers are a good source of several nutrients and low in calories. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local cucumbers.
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In May we are celebrating locally grown cucumbers for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for this vegetable in your school lunch today (or on ________ day/date) and eat local! Harvest of the Month is our program that features a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- “Good morning! In May we are celebrating locally grown cucumbers for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for cucumbers from this local farm (name the farm(s), if you can) in your lunch today (or on __________ day/date). Try local cucumbers and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month, which is our program that features a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- Serve fresh sliced cucumbers alone or with hummus or low-fat dip.
- Dice or slice fresh cucumbers and add to salads or serve on a salad bar.
- Slice cucumbers thinly and add to sandwiches or wraps.
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad – from Cherokee County
- Sweet Cucumber Salad – from Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
- Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad – Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
Taste test idea:
- Offer students slices of cucumber, with or without a low-fat dip. Survey students about whether they liked the taste test.
Q. What did the cucumber say to the carrot? A. Want to go for a dip?
- Coming soon.
Students and Families
- HOTM Cucumbers Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using cucumber in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one page tip sheet on adding more vegetables to your meals and snacks, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día