The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for March is green beans. Green beans are a good source of fiber and vitamin C. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local green beans!
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In March we are celebrating locally grown green beans for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for local green beans in your school lunch today (or on ____________ day/date). Try local green beans and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month, which is our program that features a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- “Locally grown green beans are the featured vegetable for March’s Harvest of the Month. Look for green beans from this local farm (name the farm(s), if you can) in your school lunch today (or on __________ day/date). Try local green beans and help us celebrate Harvest of the Month, which is our program that featured a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- Serve roasted, steamed or sautéed green beans as a vegetable side dish. Herbs that complement green beans include basil, dill, garlic, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Green beans pair well with onions, potatoes, and tomatoes,
- Try one of the delicious green bean recipes below.
- Shake It Up in School Nutrition Recipes:
- Green Bean Recipes from Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
- Greek Style Green Beans – a Georgia Grown Test Kitchen Recipe.
- Fresh Green Beans – from Barrow County Schools
- Southern Green Beans – from Houston County
Taste Test Ideas:
- Blanch fresh, local green beans (steam or boil for 3 minutes, place in ice water to stop the cooking, drain) for students to taste. Have students vote on whether they like fresh green beans.
- Do a comparison taste test activity with fresh green beans and canned green beans. Have students record similarities and differences in texture, color, sound and taste.
Green Bean Jokes:
- What vegetable can tie your shoes? A. String beans.
- What is the fastest vegetable? A. A runner bean!
- Harvest of the Month_March Math Activity Sheet_GaDOE
- Harvest of the Month_March Math Activity Sheet Answers_GaDOE
Students and Families
- HOTM Green Beans Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using green beans in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one-page tip sheet on adding more vegetables to your meals and snacks, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día