The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for August is peaches – Georgia’s state fruit. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local peaches and grow your farm to school program.
School Nutrition Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning, August is National Peach Month and the school cafeteria is featuring local peaches. Try a sweet, juicy, local peach today (or on _____ date(s)) at lunch (or breakfast)!”
- Serve a fresh, juicy peach on your school breakfast or lunch menu.
- Add fresh peaches to a smoothie or yogurt parfait or make into salsa.
Taste test idea:
- Invite students to taste test fresh, sliced peaches. Survey students to see if they liked the peaches. Visit the Harvest of the Month page for taste testing resources.
- August is National Peach Month – Find additional resources on peaches, from USDA’s Healthy Meals Resource System.
- Georgia Peach Council – The Georgia Peach Council website has information all about peaches. You can learn about the history of Georgia peaches, find nutrition information and recipes, and find Georgia peach growers.
Students and Families
- HOTM Peaches Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using peaches in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – English – A one page tip sheet on choosing more fruit, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – Spanish