The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for August is peaches – Georgia’s state fruit. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local peaches and grow your farm to school program.
School Nutrition Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning, August is National Peach Month and the school cafeteria is featuring local peaches. Try a sweet, juicy, local peach today (or on _____ date(s)) at lunch (or breakfast)!”
- Serve a fresh, juicy peach on your school breakfast or lunch menu.
- Add fresh peaches to a smoothie or yogurt parfait or make into salsa.
Taste test idea:
- Invite students to taste test fresh, sliced peaches. Survey students to see if they liked the peaches. Visit the Harvest of the Month page for taste testing resources.
- August is National Peach Month – Find additional resources on peaches, from USDA’s Healthy Meals Resource System.
Students and Families
- HOTM Peaches Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using peaches in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – English – A one page tip sheet on choosing more fruit, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – Spanish