The Harvest of the Month (HOTM) featured item for November is sweet potatoes. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local sweet potatoes!
School Nutrition Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning students, November’s Harvest of the Month vegetable is sweet potatoes. Look for this delicious, nutritious vegetable in your school lunch today (or on ________ date). Harvest of the Month is our program to feature a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- Serve sweet potatoes baked, mashed or roasted as a vegetable side. See Quick Baked Sweet Potatoes – USDA Recipes for Schools.
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Stew – USDA Recipe
- Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples – USDA Recipe for Schools
- Harvest Delight – Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Schools.
- New School Cuisine: Nutritious and Seasonal Recipes for School Cooks by School Cooks – From Vermont FEED, find recipes for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad and Sweet Potato Hummus.
- ROOTing for Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potato menu items and decoration ideas.
Taste test ideas:
- Hold a taste test with raw sweet potato sticks (they can be eaten raw), baked sweet potato chips or fries, or roasted, cubed sweet potatoes.
- There are many varieties of sweet potatoes. Hold a taste test with several varieties and have students vote on their favorite.
- US Sweet Potato Council – A voluntary organization supporting sweet potato growers in the United States. Find sweet potato nutrition information and recipes.
Students and Families
- HOTM Sweet Potatoes Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using sweet potatoes in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Add More Vegetables to Your Day – A one page tip sheet on adding more vegetables to your meals and snacks, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Agregue más vegetables a su día