In July, watermelon is being featured for the Harvest of the Month (HOTM) program. Watermelon is a sweet and nutritious summer fruit. Check out these resources and ideas to celebrate Harvest of the Month with local watermelon!
School Food Service Professionals
Morning announcement script:
- “Good morning! In July, we are celebrating locally grown watermelon for our Harvest of the Month program. Look for watermelon from this local farm (name the farm(s), if you can) in your lunch today (or on __________ day/date). Try local watermelon and help us celebrate our Harvest of the Month program that features a different locally grown fruit or vegetable each month.”
- Serve fresh watermelon as a fruit serving.
- Create a fresh fruit salad with watermelon and other seasonal fruits.
- Serve this Georgia Grown Watermelon Slushie.
- Watermelon Mixed Cup Recipe – from Cobb County School District, Food and Nutrition Services.
- Watermelon Romaine Salad – a quantity salad recipe, from What’s Cooking?
USDA Mixing Bowl.
Taste test idea:
- Offer a taste testing of fresh, local watermelon and survey students to see if they liked it. Consider offering different varieties of watermelon, such as seeded, seedless, or red, yellow and orange.
- Georgia Watermelon Association – the association promotes the watermelon industry from production to consumption. Find watermelon links, recipes, promotions and information about the Georgia Watermelon Queen on the website.
- National Watermelon Promotion Board – the organization promotes the benefits of watermelon. On their website find general and nutrition information on watermelon, recipes, educator resources and more.
- July Food Based Learning: Watermelon – suggestions for food based learning opportunities for watermelon, from the Georgia Department of Education School Nutrition Program.
- Watermelon Teacher Toolkit – Find printable worksheets, activities, and coloring sheets, from the National Watermelon Promotion Board.
Students and Families
- HOTM Watermelon Fact Sheet
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search for recipes using watermelon in this interactive website. The website includes a searchable database for healthy recipes and can help with meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services.
- National Watermelon Promotion Board – the organization promotes the benefits of watermelon. On the website find general and nutrition information on watermelon, recipes, educator resources and more.
- MyPlate 10 Tips: Focus on Fruits – English – A one-page tip sheet on choosing more fruit, from USDA, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion.
- MiPlato 10 Consejos: Enfóquese en las frutas